[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer vs. mplayer2 status?

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:37:15 CEST 2011

[WAS: [Tested] bug in loading ac3 by -audiofile: seeking, time position]

I was treating MPlayer and mplayer2 as two projects in competition. I
didn't see good reasons for switching to mplayer2, so I was using what
I got used to. However I got this conversation:

2011/4/25 Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi>:
> On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 01:11 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> >
>> > Is there a reason why you would not just use mplayer2 instead?
>>
>> I'm fine with MPlayer, I'm used to it,
>
> Do you find mplayer2 usage different enough to require getting used to?
> AFAIK most people have been able to transition to mplayer2 pretty
> easily.
>
>>  SMPlayer is mostly being tested with MPlayer,
>
> AFAIK the current problem with SMPlayer is that it's not being tested
> with anything (at least not by people in position to fix problems they
> find). Apparently its maintainer has little time for it at the moment.
>
>>  it's better maintained for my distro (openSUSE, mplayer2
>> is not compiled with pulse support).
>
> Getting that fixed should be a lot easier than getting all the changes
> backported to MPlayer 1.

Let me ask straight: is mplayer2 "the future", sth me should start
switching to? Do developers suggest switching to mplayer2? Do you
expect this to receive most of the new features, while MPlayer will
receive mostly bug fixes?

Or are that two projects in competition? Should we still try hardly to
fix bugs in MPlayer and develop it?

Could you post some summary to end-users, please?

--
Rafał