[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make Mplayer and Xscreensaver play nice together

PG atlka at pg.gda.pl
Mon Apr 11 09:33:51 CEST 2011

 Welcome,

 On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 16:14:26 -0400, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 15:02:15 -0300, Boni Xavier wrote:
>>heartbeat-cmd doesn't work well. All the time it runs, there's a lag
>> in the
>
> what is your heartbeat cmd? there shouldnt be any lag.
>
> run the heartbeat cmd by itself with top and see if it spikes cpu
> usage ?
>
> what speed cpu?

 Sorry to say, but screensaver problem exists for years and it is still
 not solved properly.
 IMHO problem is not in mplayer but in gnome-screensaver and
 xscreensaver programs which sholud be modified so they can use internal
 X11 idle counters. In an app like mplayer you then should periodically
 use int XResetScreenSaver(Display *display) function which resets these
 counters which should automatically prevent screensaver activation.
 There is no need to use different api for different desktop environments
 or even pure X11 with internal X-server DPMI and blanking functions. So
 make developers of screensaver apps to stick to this method and let it
 will be simple enough.

 Other always working solution is to periodically generate fake mouse
 movements on mplayer window. Works perfectly for me and we do not need
 to use any special X11 proto extensions or screensaver type aware hacks.
 No problem if player crashes. Of course this is not working properly if
 mouse is on different window which could appear in multimonitor
 configurations.

 Regards

--
 Adam Tla/lka                                 ^v^ ^v^ ^v^