[MPlayer-dev-eng] Leaving the project

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 8 19:09:10 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Grüezi,
>
> I got a mail from a certain project leader, claiming to be backed
> up by MPlayer developers, containing legal threats that border on duress.
>
> Although I got used to get such threats from companies who thought
> they could stop the development of a codec by intimidation, I am
> definitely not used to getting such mails from project members,
> much less from people I once considered to be friends.
>
> In order to protect myself from getting drawn into a pointless
> legal battle between grown up men who behave like children
> in a sandbox fight, I decided to leave the MPlayer project.
>
> Thus I will stop providing any service to MPlayer from
> Monday 18.4.2011 12:00 CEST on. This means, that I will disable
> all services running on my private machines by then and will
> shut down natsuki, the main server of MPlayer. The machine is
> running under my name, with rackspace and bandwidth donated as
> a personal favor to me. Please migrate all services you still
> need to somewhere else by then.
>
> My offer to ship natsuki to anyone who has a claim on it still
> holds, given that packaging and shipping (including service time)
> is being paid upfront. In case nobody claims natsuki in three
> months time, I will take this as that nobody has a interest in this
> old machine and will donate it to the local linux user group.

what kind of box is that? how old, cpu, ram hdd etc...
about how much it would cost to ship that to budapest?
(i offer hosting it here, if nobody else has such offer)

> If you have any questions or requests for data, please direct
> them to root at mplayerhq.hu. They will be handled as time permits.

data - including original ffmpeg stuff, like mailing lists configs
and archives, old svn tree etc - should be backed up before the shutdown.

A'rpi