[MPlayer-dev-eng] Leaving the project

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Apr 8 15:00:01 CEST 2011

Grüezi,

I got a mail from a certain project leader, claiming to be backed
up by MPlayer developers, containing legal threats that border on duress.

Although I got used to get such threats from companies who thought
they could stop the development of a codec by intimidation, I am
definitely not used to getting such mails from project members,
much less from people I once considered to be friends.

In order to protect myself from getting drawn into a pointless
legal battle between grown up men who behave like children
in a sandbox fight, I decided to leave the MPlayer project.

Thus I will stop providing any service to MPlayer from
Monday 18.4.2011 12:00 CEST on. This means, that I will disable
all services running on my private machines by then and will
shut down natsuki, the main server of MPlayer. The machine is
running under my name, with rackspace and bandwidth donated as
a personal favor to me. Please migrate all services you still
need to somewhere else by then.

My offer to ship natsuki to anyone who has a claim on it still
holds, given that packaging and shipping (including service time)
is being paid upfront. In case nobody claims natsuki in three
months time, I will take this as that nobody has a interest in this
old machine and will donate it to the local linux user group.

If you have any questions or requests for data, please direct
them to root at mplayerhq.hu. They will be handled as time permits.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin