[MPlayer-dev-eng] libass relicensing

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 11:10:16 CEST 2010

On 9/8/10, Grigori Goronzy <greg at chown.ath.cx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As maintainers of libass, Evgeniy and me decided to relicense libass to
> a permissive license, mostly to make it more useful for other projects.
> (for example ffmpeg)
> See the attached license template, which is a simplifed 2-clause BSD
> license (the ISC license). I'm going to use this license.
>
> As libass lived inside MPlayer for a long time, there are a quite a few
> commits from other MPlayer devs in libass. Therefore, I'm kindly asking
> you to grant me permission to publish your code under the new license.
>
> The list is as follows (number of commits in brackets)
>
> Notable changes:
>
> uau - Uoti Urpala <uau wapit.com> (4)
> reimar - Reimar.Doeffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger gmx.de> (11)
> aurel - Aurelien Jacobs <aurel gnuage.org> (3)
> iive - Ivan Kalvatchev <iive yahoo.com> (3)
> ben - Benjamin Zores <ben geexbox.org> (1)
>
> Trivial commits (cosmetics, oneliners, etc.), not sure if they're
> copyrightable:
>
> diego - Diego Biurrun <diego biurrun.de> (29)
> kraymer - Sebastian Krämer <mail kraymer.de> (1)
> ulion <ulion2002 gmail.com> (2)
> rfelker - Rich Felker <dalias aerifal.cx> (2)
>
> Please reply (especially if you're in the first list), no matter if
> you're OK with relicensing or not. Thanks!
>
> Best Regards
> Grigori

I do not like BSD style licenses. I prefer something that would
guarantee the source will remain open.
Anyway, I do not consider my contribution to be a major one, so I have
no moral right to interfere.

You have my permission to use my existing code in libass under any
free software license that is OSI approved and (L)GPL compatible.