[MPlayer-dev-eng] Replace the debian/ packaging directory

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Mon Sep 6 10:15:18 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:03:09 (CEST), Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Reinhard Tartler <siretart <at> tauware.de> writes:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:42:36 (EDT), Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> [...]
>>> I'd like to propose to replace the existing debian/ packaging with my
>>> packaging I'm doing for Ubuntu.
> [...]
>
> Giving some love to debian/ is a good thing.

thanks

> [...]
>> Diego asked me to elaborate on the differences to the current packaging:
>>
>>  - seperate mplayer, mencoder and mplayer-gui package (current: single
>>    package)
> [...]
>
> Hello,
> Is there a point in making mencoder a separate package? Dependencies
> should be basically identical and the size benefit is minimal. Saving
> 1,5MB seems to be not worth it, especially if you consider the amount of
> data mplayer usually acts on.

that's a fair point, but I'd like to give it a bit more thought and more
opinons. I guess there are a number of other distro packages that depend
on mencoder, and I'd like to get a better feeling how things will
evolve, both technically and politically.

> mplayer-gui is somehow i the same boat, the additional deps are not
> many. And just building once would simplify debian/rules.

unfortunately no, because the gui and non-gui variant need to be
configured seperately IIRC. While the dependencies are not many, they
are rather 'heavy', so I'd rather keep mplayer-gui seperate.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4