[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer linking takes forever on MinGW

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 23:02:38 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:46:05PM +0200, Georgi Petrov wrote:
> > What about using a different linker until ld is fixed? I'd guess that the
> > Microsoft linker would work and if you want to use open source there is the
> > OpenWatcom linker, wlink.exe.
>
> Is this possible at all? I will investigate this, for sure. I always
> thought that object files, produced by a certain compiler must be
> linked with linker from the same toolchain? I might be completely
> wrong, of course. I will try.

There is no "same toolchain", binutils and gcc are different projects.
There is some dependency but it doesn't matter usually for "ordinary"
linking.
Also latest cygwin with gcc-3 and -mno-cygwin builds MPlayer just fine
on Windows 7 (and I have a hard time imagining how it could depend on
the OS anyway).