[MPlayer-dev-eng] DxVA in MPlayer

Georgi Petrov gogothebee at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 11:55:50 CET 2010

Hello,

I'm Georgi Petrov and a year ago I developed the Direct 3D renderer.
Now I'm interested in implementing DxVA support in MPlayer. Yesterday
I started to investigate the amount of work and any difficulties I may
have and I came up with the following questions:

1. Since DxVA 2 requires EVR renderer (the current Direct 3D one won't
work), I suppose that the best way to start is implementing a working
EVR renderer first. If so, are there anybody who is familiar at least
a little with it? The only thing that bothers me is that EVR is
supposed to be used in a DirectShow chain and MPlayer has nothing to
do with DirectShow... In short - does anybody know is it feasible to
develop the EVR renderer first and test it with the current
(non-accelerated) internal MPlayer codecs?

2. Once the EVR custom presenter is ready, FFmpeg already has the
needed infrastructure for offloading computations for H.264, VC-1,
MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 ASP. Excuse me if I don't get it, but each one of
these standards should have an "accelerated" implementation, which
from MPlayer's point of view is a new codec. Then inside the codec
there are places, where one can hook and transfer the decoding part to
the DxVA/VA API/VDAPU at any given stage (IDCT, MO and so on). Is this
right? I'm starting to look at the code right now, but a higher
abstract point of view is welcome.

3. As far as I understand this approach is used by VA API and VDPAU.
Can I reuse their infrastructure as well? On this page I see a VA API
patches: http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/

Are they part of MPlayer already or not?

4. Can somebody, who has already worked on VA API/VDPAU
implementations give me some clue? How much work is involved in
getting the whole chain work? Are most of the puzzle pieces in place
or I will have to dig deeper into understanding how H.264 / VC-1 and
so on work on a pure codec level?

5. I am trying to figure out a realistic estimate about how much time
and hard work this is about, so any help in this direction is welcome.

Greeting,
Georgi