[MPlayer-dev-eng] internal libfaad2 forked copy

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 2 20:39:46 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 01:28:18PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Janne just committed LATM support to FFmpeg.  AFAIK that fixes the
> main shortcoming of FFmpeg's AAC decoder compared to libfaad2.
> IOW, the time for us to remove the internal libfaad2 copy from
> MPlayer appears to have come.
>
> libfaad2 is still faster than ffaac in fixed-point mode on my K6-III,
> which has a slow FPU, but I'm not aware of any other major issues.
>
> Anything I'm missing?  Otherwise libfaad2 shall go the way of the dodo.

Yes, patience.
First the issues that Carl reported against the FFmpeg decoder must be
analyzed and/or fixed, then FFmpeg one must be made default, then there's some
waiting for bug reports, then would should maybe think about disabling
both internal and external faad by default and then we're really close
to remove the actual code.