[MPlayer-dev-eng] CMMB GY/T.220 digital TV - success

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Mar 19 20:10:00 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:00:50AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:58:41 +0000 (UTC), Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> >Jonathan Cline <jcline <at> ieee.org> writes:
> >
> >> I am continuing development on China Mobile (CMMB T.220) digital TV
> >> demux and I can now watch video broadcast from Beijing and other
> >> sources.  It is a good chunk of C code in multiple files, main mplayer
> >> integration file being libmpdemux/demux_cmmb.c .  I am running into
> >> audio decoding issues especially with timestamp sync.  Are there any
> >> pointers to info or specific other demuxers to look at as example?
> >
> >Yes.
> >Please implement this in libavformat, a subdirectory of the FFmpeg project. (It
> >will be automatically integrated into MPlayer as well.)
> >No new demuxers should be added to libmpdemux.
>
> its still policy to accept new mplayer demuxers as long as they pass
> review.

Which means someone has to bother to review it.
The motivation for that is somewhat low since there are two options:
1) The format is at least somewhat interesting then FFmpeg will probably
get a better or at least as good demuxer soon and the time reviewing
and maintaining our copy is wasted.
2) Nobody cares about the format and then motivation to review is not
so high by default.

This is in addition to the fact that exactly the kind of issue that was
asked about is easier to figure out with FFmpeg since you have many different
players/conversion "frontends" for that and how their behaviour differs can
be a good indication of where an issue lies.