[MPlayer-dev-eng] branching off rc4

Vlad Seryakov vseryakov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:30:17 CEST 2010

On Jun 29, 2010, at 7:29 PM, compn wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:48:36 -0400, Vlad Seryakov wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Thomas Orgis wrote:

>>> Hah, you got me there... of course I don't have a good sample handy. I just
>>> watched some DVB-T with inevitably bad signal strength and mplayer
>>> struggling to keep decoding, hearing the characteristic hissing/squeaking
>>> noises of MPEG audio streams in distress, at least how I remembered them
>>> from earlier times where we battled broken files with mpg123, or just
>>> seeking.
>>>
>>> I cannot quickly reproduce a good source for this (don't even have the DVB-T
>>> receiver with me now for getting the real thing) ... so, better ignore that
>>> statement until I come up with some data. I'll try to hook up the dvb-t dongle
>>> and use mplayer with mpg123 decoding next time... and play with the antenna
>>> to see how bad the breakdown of the decoding sounds there, if there is
>>> actually a difference to mp3lib (or the ffmpeg codec).
>>>

>> I currently working on a project that involves mplayer and DVB(ATSC). While playing different HD channels i noticed that sometimes the picture starts stuttering, seems like A/V out of sync or else and mplayer starts skipping video frames. Quick pause/pause fixes playback but over time it starts stutter again. With cache 8192 it is significantly better,  stuttering happens rare now.
>>
>> I can help, record perfect ATSC stream if needed.
>
> yes. a small sample which shows the problem would be useful.
> i'm guessing -autosync 30 doesnt help?

It is hard to catch that moment, it can happen anytime or not for a long time and recording HD for too long quickly fill my hard drive and stuttering happens only from DVB, when i play recorded file from the same channel, it is always perfect. I remember some pretty old post about A/V sync problem and cache not being catch up or something, so my attempts to play with cache size

I actually use -autosync 2 -mc 1 -hardframedrop -framedrop -cache 8192 -vo vdpau:deint=3

I remember trying -autosync 30 but it did not work, i do not know how i ended up with -autosync 2 but it seems the most stable for now

> how much is an atsc dvb card now? i'd get one but usa broadcast tv is
> abysmal.

I use Happauge DVB HD 1600, it is around $50, external USB HD 900 is about $90

I actually dropped my FIOS a year ago and install ATSC antenna, but nobody in the house even noticed and nobody watches TV, mostly movies online or from other sources. But there are some pretty good shows actually, when i started working on my current project, DVB is playing all the time on my other monitor so i noticed that some stuff is pretty interesting but of course this is very subjective and not the point of this.