[MPlayer-dev-eng] what happened to the blu-ray support

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Jun 26 23:56:49 CEST 2010

Ages ago (it seems) there was a patch by Jonathan Nell that enabled
basic blu-ray playback from the medium with a known VUK., but I just
wanted to know the status. I was able to plug in the patch in the first
place with almost no changes to the current svn, and was able to play my
2001 space odyssey BD with it (since the key is known).

Now from what I understand, BD+ is not possible with this, and breaking
the key neither (as this does simply decrypt the track).

Now a question: how does this patch work together with the (supposedly)
work-in-progress libbluray? What is my understanding is that BD+ will
modify the stream just in time, but would it suffice for normal (sans
BD+)-discs to have the VUK ready? Or are there more keys needed than
simple the VUK?

I remember back in the day with dvd playback when you had to specify the
key on the command line (to be more specific: to specify the device the
key was tried to take from) and playing the single 1GB files from the
DVD one after another (funnily enough also with my first DVD, also 2001
a space odyssey).

--
Cheers,
Alex