[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Some modest proposals

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Jun 13 14:17:22 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 02:03:23PM +0200, Dan Oscarsson wrote:
> Many people think that now and then, you have to scrap most of the old
> code and start again. mplayer shows it age - a rewrite of the core could
> give a new start.

There was one try of that (called G2).
But a rewrite of the core honestly would probably result in a player
that for one or more years would be broken for quite a few cases.
Also you can find a "rewritten core" e.g. in ffplay, which uses threads
etc., and I am sure Michael would be quite happy for it to gain more
functionality.
Not saying that's the only way to do it, but I expect it to have a higher
probability of survival than just throwing away everything there is and
start from scratch.