[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Some modest proposals

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 18:39:40 CEST 2010

On 6/12/10, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 06/12/2010 02:20 PM, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>> And please, stop with this cruft rhetoric. It's like labeling random
>> people terrorists, they became bad because of their label, not because
>> they are bad.
>
> If there are functions variables and macros we don't use anymore
> removing them should just help.

Should help to ... what?

Cleanups are good thing, but under the name of cruft have been removed
a lot of debug, experimental code as well as functionality. And more
is scheduled to vanish.

Cleanups for the sake of cleanups are just... waste of time and
effort. Worse, at the moment they are just simulation of activity.

>> Nobody would join project that is ripping itself apart. No creator
>> should enjoy removing other people's work. Nobody would join project
>> because the source is nice looking.
>> People want challenges.
>
> I challenge you to properly refactor mplayer.c then =)

I'm not working in factory ever again! ;)

Refactoring is boring. And nobody ever said what, why and how should be done.
I'm definitely not moving furniture around! :)

On 6/12/10, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Promise developer access for people who are ready to work on
>> given task.
>
> While we (at LinuxTag) were laughing a lot about your mail (and I agree with
> many points), I don't think this is a good idea.

It is bad idea only if it takes 5 years to kick them out when they turn evil.

We do need more people.
Notice I used the word "promise". I've never proposed giving them
write access right away. And yes, committed patch senders should get
commit rights.