[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] all of FFmpeg as svn:external

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Jul 12 19:45:24 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:39:36AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> This avoids duplicating much of the FFmpeg build system and indeed the
> diffstat is quite attractive:
>
>  Makefile   |   47 --
>  common.mak |  109 ------
>  configure  |  995 ++-----------------------------------------------------------
>  subdir.mak |  101 ------
>
> Shrinking configure by a full 10% and getting rid of subdir.mak and
> common.mak to keep tracking is no small feat and will reduce our
> maintenance burden considerably.

It's not entirely fair, you removed quite a few configure options,
code to pass them to FFmpeg configure will add a bit back...

> There are still quite a few rough edges.  I will add a configure
> parameter that passes along options to FFmpeg's configure.

That works for some, but for e.g. --disable-mencoder a bit more
intelligence is reasonable.

> because it reads ./config.h instead of ffmpeg/config.h.  One possible
> workaround is to rename our config.h to mpconfig.h.  However, that will
> muck with our other external libraries.  I'm all ears for better
> solutions if you have any to offer.

Our config.h very much should include FFmpeg's.
And it should ideally also be possible to include FFmpeg's config.mak

> Comments?

A more gradual way to add this would be nice that allows testing beforehand,
e.g. by having a copy of FFmpeg's configure at first and possibly only running
it optionally.
Too bad --depth=files or so cannot be used for svn:externals