[MPlayer-dev-eng] what happened to the blu-ray support

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sat Jul 3 10:29:40 CEST 2010

On 07/03/2010 10:01 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 02:17:50AM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
>> On 07/03/2010 01:51 AM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>>> Ok, since your appreciation for that kind of thing is so high,
>>> here is a "working" patch for PGS.
>>> Now find someone to clean it up properly, after all I have done the
>>> "useful feature" part.
>>> (No, this is not even very, very remotely ok for SVN, as anyone trying
>>> to use it will probably notice before the end of the movie, among
>>> more "philosophical" things).
>>> And yes, it also needs -demuxer lavf.
>>
>> It actually works, I never saw blu-ray subtitles before, and they appear
>> to have alpha blending and anti aliasing... at least the look a lot
>> better than normal DVD subtitles.
>
> DVDs have too, but they can only use 4 different colours (where colour
> includes alpha) at the same time.
> pgs can use up to 256.
>
>> There is though some graphical debris at the right end of almost each
>> subtitle line, but I cannot make out a clear pattern there.
>
> Well, I have only one sample and couldn't see such a thing.
> Does it happen for you with http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/sub/BluRay/sample-dts-not-valid-dca-frame.m2ts ?

See for yourself:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2048/pgssubtitle1.jpg
the first being your sample, the second from my 2001 BD:
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4968/pgssubtitle2.jpg

> If yes, you are using the internal FFmpeg?
Yes, internal FFmpeg
> If no, can you upload a sample?

>> with lavf as demuxer, I get also uncompressed PCM sound, which is nice,
>> and the default demuxer doesn't show, but mplayer breaks on seeking with
>> lavf, if I do the seeking from start on. When I go somewhere into the
>> movie,  seeking works, though (haven't investigated a lot in this
>> matter) it doesn't seem to seek to keyframes. so it takes ~1sec for the
>> image to clear.
>>
>> so this is more about lavf as demuxer:
>>
>> playing the bd from start and then seeking with arrow keys: I get:
>>
>> VO: [xv] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
>> A:  12.9 V:   0.0 A-V: 12.931 ct:  0.100   0/  0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
>>
>> Exiting... (End of file)
>>
>> playing with -ss 0:0 I get the same
>> playing with -ss 0:1, I can seek as I'm happy to...
>>
>> Return value is in all cases 0, even gdb gives: "Program exited normally".
>
> Hm, also not able to reproduce that with my sample.
> But I fear MPEG-TS support is rather crappy, and lavf is possibly even worse
> than the native one...

This doesn't also happen with a dumped version of my Blu-ray, so I don't
know what the difference is between reading from BD with normal and lavf
demuxer...

--
Cheers,
Alex