No subject

Mon Jul 5 14:03:39 CEST 2010

during second pass; it's just used by the 2pass bitrate control.

By the way, while looking through the sources, I noticed that the
2pass control is actually derived from OpenDivX sources. This is
probably a bad thing, right, in terms of the fully GPL release? As I
understand, libavcodec actually has a rather strong bitrate control
system for single pass now. Perhaps it could be adapted to make a
really good 2pass control? Then again, the current 2pass control code
seems really simple, so perhaps it's just easier to rewrite it.

Also, while we're talking about 2pass encoding...I was wondering what
might happen if we intentionally break your 'basic rule of 2pass' --
that is, make a 2pass engine that can do a quick low-res encode first
just to analyze *relative* complexity, then use that analysis for a
high quality second pass. Naturally it wouldn't be as good as true
2pass, but if it only took 30% longer than 1pass rather than 90%
longer, it might be a worthwhile tradeoff for some people with slow
computers...

Rich