[MPlayer-dev-eng] [rfc][patch] mplayer-mt, -lavdopts threads=2 and -vo gl failure on mpeg-1 and theora

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Jan 19 15:49:31 CET 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 17:16 +0300, Yuriy Kaminskiy wrote:
> On 19.01.2010 11:47, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 07:28 +0300, Yuriy Kaminskiy wrote:
> >> Not sure if that belongs here (ffmpeg-mt is not yet complete/stable/supported),
> >> but anyway.
> >>
> >> History: as my X2 4850e insufficient to display h264/1080p movies, I've tried
> >> build mplayer with ffmpeg-mt libraries; at first everything worked fine, but
> >> then I looked at other mt-aware codecs, and stumbled over nasty problem.
> >
> > I just answered a similar question on the mplayer-users list yesterday.
> > Try -noslices.
> As you see, I use -noslices. Did not help.

Yes I noticed that already (as compn pointed it out), and reproduced the
problem myself.

> > You also seem to be using some kind of svn-based FFmpeg-mt build. All
> > the ones I've seen have been broken (at least incorrect video vs
> > subtitle/audio sync).
>
> That has nothing to do with that problem. Before bothering with that, I've
> quickly looked at mplayer.git sources, it /should/ behave same.

Yes I knew it was likely not the cause for this particular problem. I
think it's still worth pointing out that svn-based builds for FFmpeg-mt
are a bad idea for other reasons.

> With my patch and separate rendering thread enabled (-vo gl:...:thread) - no
> problem with theora, no problem with mpeg-1 & -noslices.

It should be possible to fix this without such an extensive patch,
basically by disabling the callbacks when threading is used. I already
made a test patch earlier and it seemed to fix the issues on my system,
but I want to verify some details before creating a final version.