[MPlayer-dev-eng] old libcaca API

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:29:05 CET 2010

On 2/25/10, Reimar Doeffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:05:56PM +0100, Paul B Mahol wrote:
>> I noticed that caca video driver is missing options and
>> I'm forced to use env variables to change default caca driver.
>>
>> Tried to fix that but noticed old API is still present.
>>
>> So, is it ok to remove support for old API, there is still
>> patch from 2006 to support both API, so we can just start
>> from there ?
>
> See patch here:
> http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer/patches/99_caca1.diff
> Fastest way to get it accepted: first send a patch with
> only the minimal changes necessary for the new API (i.e.
> not the new option parsing, nor additional key handling,
> and especially not the "cosmetic" reindent in check_events).
> I don't consider caca relevant enough to bother with
> backwards-compatibility.

I just noticed that playing cathedral with caca driver is causing
corrupted input
which can lead to mplayer crash. (I first thought that it was patch fault but it
also happens with older mplayer build)

[h264 @ 0x8896380]number of reference frames exceeds max (probably
corrupt input), discarding one

OT: both aa and caca overwrite user configured keys, but problem is such
keys do work only sometimes, eg. 'a' key in aa:curses.

Better to remove such keys and use options instead ?