[MPlayer-dev-eng] [ass] fix font aspect for anamorphic video

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Feb 7 17:17:22 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:13 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 04:15:59PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-02-07 at 16:09 +0300, Konstantin Khlebnikov wrote:
> > > not obviously, but there wonderful bug in current libass font aspect
> > > calculation. anamorphic coefficient must be inversed.
> >
> > Upstream libass itself is now maintained in a separate repository, and
> > the libass interface in the MPlayer svn repository is no longer actively
> > maintained.
>
> Given that it has only recently been updated and other patches applied
> that's certainly just not true. It may not be well maintained or maybe
> not very actively developed, but calling it "no longer actively maintained"
> a stretch,

You applied a patch from someone else, in the process showing you're not
very familiar with libass or its development (such as the size limit).
The people who are more familiar with it prefer git.

Whatever exact phrasing you use for the level of libass support and
maintenance in svn, there's a big enough difference between that and git
that people who encounter libass problems should use the git repo.

>  particularly for someone who claimed I was spreading FUD just
> because I was asking people to try the SVN version since I don't know the
> code in the git repository.

That's not an honest description of what I said. A VDPAU user said he'd
heard git was a better choice than svn, and you replied to him "I'm not
sure if it is wise to just believe what is said on IRC". That's what I
called FUD. The git repo does in fact have significantly better VDPAU
support than svn.