[MPlayer-dev-eng] [TEST-REQUEST] let window manager do placing by default

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Wed Feb 3 22:47:21 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:41:25PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le quintidi 15 pluviôse, an CCXVIII, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> > > From a quick test my impression was that the unpatched mplayer always
> > > opened the video window centered, while the patched version placed the
> > > window randomly, sometimes parts of the window were off screen.
> > That's exactly what happens when you allow the window manager to place
> > the window
>
> Not if your window manager is well set up. Mine places the windows in a very
> deterministic way I find very satisfactory, and I really dislike when
> applications that override that in order to work around badly configured
> window managers.

I understand that it works well for some people, which is why I wanted to
have this finally "fixed", however badly configured window managers and people
not knowing how to configure them are plenty enough (and in addition include me)
that I considered the previous approaches that broke MPlayer's own
placement and -geometry with a default Linux setup completely unacceptable.
And it's the same reason why I'd like feedback on what should be the default.