[MPlayer-dev-eng] Work on SDP and RTP support

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 21:37:46 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 02:05:21PM -0500, compn wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:14:16 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> >> Might be worthy.
> >
> >If you think it works better, certainly.
>
> reimar knows this code when he added ffmpeg:// stuff. i think he will
> make it default after it has been tested. you can look at the commit
> that made rtmp:// work to see how it was done.

> >No, definitely not now. You can't remove something that is currently the default, the alternative needs proper public testing first.
>
> ffmpeg is still missing playlist support, so .smil and .mov
> redirectors arent working. it would be nice to get those into ffmpeg.
>
> rtsp://rm stuff is working better than before in ffmpeg, but needs
> extensive testing to fix any remaining problems. also there was the
> max_streams limit (was it fixed in the next major bump?) which would
> hit the limit on mbr rm files.
>
> if you want to help, you can color-code the wiki for urls that ffmpeg
> doesnt play. that will help ffmpeg devs more quickly work on
> troublesome urls. add 'fixing up rtsp' to the 'small tasks' page on the
> wiki too.
>
> i made one url red to show it wasnt working. use green or lime to
> show working samples. i scanned the live555 devel list for rtsp urls,
> maybe someone wants to test those as well?
>
> what we are trying to do is stick all network, muxer, codec and
> everything else we can into ffmpeg so it can be maintained there and
> shared with more projects. after its tested we can start removing
> duplicate features from mplayer.
>
> i'm sorry that work has been done to mplayer without this in mind, but
> as we only have reimar reviewing patches, he gets to decide what goes
> in. maybe we should make a note on news page and mplayer readme about
> changing to ffmpeg development ?

No worry about the "work done", it's always a pleasure to make things; it
just ends up on my github repo with other relics :)

But yes, a documentation/news/whatever about the development orientation
(and eventually some kind of TODO list) would be welcome.

Btw, thank you for your clarification. I don't know if I'm going to
propose any "better" default for those streams regarding the current
MPlayer and FFmpeg situation, so well, I think I'll just have fun with
something else (useful this time I hope :)).

--
Clément B.
Not sent from a jesusPhone.