[MPlayer-dev-eng] Question about management of virtual ao buffer

Oh-keun Kwon pinebud at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:38:16 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to make a null_pcm_buffer ao plugin and output the decode PCM
buffer to Android sound output system. I modified ao_null plugin and
decoding buffer size is decided by timing as null plugin does. Android
AudioSink does not seem to provide any API for getting available buffer
size.

The problem I got is.. There is noisy ticking sound after some playback like
3~4 minutes. I am a newbie to mplayer and any other multimedia player, so I
have tons of questions

1. How does mplayer decide the size of decoded audio? Is it decided by
get_space() value.
2. Is there a way to manage the decoded buffer size to slightly bigger than
timing calculated value and prevent the buffer from growing indefinately?
3. Is there any other virtual ao device like ao_null that I can refer to?
4. Is there any suspected reason for ticking sound than running short of
decoded output buffer that can be fed to output device?
5. Should the decoded PCM output size aligned to some value?

Thanks,
Owen