[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] libavutil/x86_cpu.h

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 6 11:42:42 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 12:01:51AM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 11:06:52AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:41:46AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > We use libavutil/x86_cpu.h all over the place even though it not a
> > > public header.  This makes building without libavutil in the source
> > > tree impossible.
> > >
> > > Since this header depends on config.h it will never become a public
> > > header in FFmpeg.  I suggest that we just copy it to the top level
> > > of MPlayer.  The header is small and useful and its content are not
> > > really subject to change; it has been untouched for more than a year.
> >
> > No opinion from anybody?  If I hear nothing I will go ahead once Reimar
> > is back from vacation in mid-August.
>
> I am not particularly in favour of supporting such a build configuration,
> also anyone who removes libavutil can still copy that file themselves...

The reliance on libavutil in the source tree is bad.  It should be
possible to build without FFmpeg in the source tree and it should
be possible to build against an external FFmpeg.

I see nothing to be gained from a reliance on the internals of code
that is not natively from MPlayer.  This incestuous relationship with
FFmpeg must eventually come to an end.

Diego