[MPlayer-dev-eng] gmplayer doesn't build with shared libswscale in trunk and rc4

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Aug 3 18:34:05 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:03:38AM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 00:47:07 (EDT), Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:32:40PM -0400, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> >> it seems that the current rc4 branch fails to link with gui and shared
> >> swscale:
> >>
> >> gui/wm/ws.o: In function `wsXInit':
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:338: undefined reference to `rgb32tobgr15'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:314: undefined reference to `rgb32tobgr32'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:318: undefined reference to `rgb32to24'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:322: undefined reference to `rgb32tobgr24'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:326: undefined reference to `rgb32to16'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:330: undefined reference to `rgb32tobgr16'
> >> gui/wm/ws.c:334: undefined reference to `rgb32to15'
> >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >>
> >> For rc4, I see the following options:
> >>
> >>  a) document it in the release notes
> >>  b) remove gmplayer from the branch
> >>  c) fix it
> >>
> >> Is there someone willing to fix this in trunk? Do people prefer to just
> >> remove gmplayer? Please share your feelings.
> >
> > Since the problem only exists with shared libswscale on platforms that
> > support linker scripts and where the linker scripts have been used
> > unmodified, it shouldn't be to difficult to avoid for anyone who really
> > cares.
>
> And my question was exactly to find out if anyone really cares. Do you?

Well, I always use the "link against static libswscale" method anyway.
Any "end-users" should use that method, too, it's the one we officially
support.
Anyone doing the full distribution can add these symbols to the
libswscale linker script to export them.
So I think there's not really a need to do anything beyond mentioning
it.