[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Mon Aug 2 12:14:47 CEST 2010

On 08/01/2010 11:25 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> I thought I said clearly the low-level support is _not_ my concern,

IMHO it wasn't that clear.

> my concern is that we might end up with working but _useless_ low-level
> support because the high-level stuff (time stamp handling etc.) might
> mean it does not work for any of the cases we want to have it working.
> Or to put it differently: I suggest to implement a as simple as possible
> proof-of-concept that does something useful before starting with API-level
> work.

This all boils down to design philosophy - top down vs bottom up, which
are a matter of taste to some degree.
Also, low-level support is not _useless_ just because it isn't used by
some higher-level subsystem from the start. If the interface is good and
functionality is interesting (and it definitely is), someone is going to
use it.

Grigori