[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] EOSD improvements

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 00:39:35 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 12:14:19AM +0200, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> On 07/31/2010 06:00 PM, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > I think you should already with the first patch come up with something
> > that will work ones the types are different, otherwise there's no way
> > to know if your design is going to be even remotely useful or if there's
> > some mayor issue that means we'll just have to 100% revert it.
>
> Sure - this is merely a proof of concept, not meant to be committed to
> mainline.
> More importantly I'm interested in what developers think about extending
> EOSD to be a generic OSD interface (and modifying spudec to use it).

Well, just as kind of "background" in principle spudec probably at some point
should be split into a part doing decoding and a part handling display of
the subtitles.
For this purpose it might make sense to (despite increased memory
requirement) decode the data before enqueueing.
Similarly, the vf_ass filter currently does timing, image generation and
blending, which is not suitable to spudec which already does the timing.
Personally I would suggest going for the absolute minimum that gives
some "visible" result, seeing how it looks when it is actually
implemented and possibly just throwing it all away if it does not look
good.
One possibility for that is to just make the current luminance-alpha
vobsubs rendered via EOSD, since that does(should) not require any
changes to the EOSD rendering and ASS_Image struct.