[MPlayer-dev-eng] AAC decoding is out of sync

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 12:11:54 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:58 AM, RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:57:32 +0200
> Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it was a bad call to add ffaac as default decoder for AAC as
>> it tends to screw up in a lot of cases. I prefer FAAD over it anytime.
>
> The MPlayer project is perpetually in "testing".  There is no stable
> branch.  Faster codecs have always gotten precidence over more reliable
> ones, and setting somewhat buggy codecs as the default has long been the
> method to get them tested.  In short, it's not an argument you can win.

I'm not looking to win arguments here. Just pointed out that IMO it
was a bit too soon that ffaac was made default and from a user's
perspective who just wants to throw a file at it and watch it, he
doesn't really care which one is default as long at it works. There
are much more users who are not interested in testing than there are
who want to test or trying for hours to find a solution to get it work
(and get frustrated along the way, some eventually giving up). And
last time I checked, peeps involved in mplayer & ffmpeg already do a
good amount of testing.

Only yesterday we had a pretty frustrated user come to #mplayer asking
why a52drc no longer works as he wasn't aware that mplayer has
switched to ffac3 which although has a drc option, it doesn't get
exposed to mplayer like the one from liba52