[MPlayer-dev-eng] a patch to show Chinese characters correctly in terminal

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 19:21:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:27 AM, ideal <idealities at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jehan
>
> Thanks for your reply. That lets me learn much new knowledge on id3 tag.

You are welcome.

> In spec mp3 tag should be encoded in iso-8859-1 or UTF-8, UTF-16, that means
> a GB* encoded tag mp3 file is illegal, but when mp3 file is created, there
> is no guarantee that tag encoding is corrent? or it only depends on the
> software which is used to create mp3 and edit id3 tag?

Yes I guess the software people use for writing such tags does not
make its job of converting from the user's encoding to a valid
encoding. So if something is bugged, this is these softwares (thus
creating bugged id3 tags).

Once it is done, it is too late, because as I explained, it may be
impossible (in some cases) to detect for sure the used codeset. So if
you know some free softwares which writes such tags, I suggest you go
propose a detect system codeset/convert to utf-8 patch for these. :-)
Bye.

Jehan