[MPlayer-dev-eng] ALSA issue, r29549

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Sep 29 18:01:00 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 17:38 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 06:31:48PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > Based on the mails there I think rounding to just whole samples should
> > be tested (and not outburst like your patch does).
>
> I thought of that already, but firstly that issue usually results in
> garbled sound, to my knowledge has been "fixed" in MPlayer, but more

Losing the "rounded" samples could garble sound (or just switch
channels), but feeding partial input to the ao driver could in principle
trigger other problems even if the samples do not get out of sync as a
result. BTW I think audio drivers _do_ currently get such input -
multiple calls to play() which are not guaranteed to individually be at
sample boundaries - if they ask for large enough input sizes.

IIRC there were earlier bugs that necessarily led to the samples being
lost, though I don't remember the exact details now.

> importantly can't happen because ALSA takes all size in number of
> samples - so that rounding already happens necessarily.

Yes I should have noticed that, the driver should not have any issues
related to sample boundaries.