[MPlayer-dev-eng] ALSA issue, r29549

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 29 17:12:22 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 05:51:41PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:28 +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > Not sure about the deeper issue, but the following patch seems to fix it
>
> What problem exactly is the "it" you're referring to? The gentoo bug
> report link mentioned A/V sync issues (but didn't describe them enough,
> that would need clarification if such an issue really exists) and high
> CPU use. Is the latter what you're talking about?

The desync is just a side-effect of the high CPU usage.

> If so have you tried
> using oprofile to measure where the CPU use is?

Given that nobody succeeded in reproducing the issue, that is rather
hard to do.
Either way if it is anything like in the past it is probably due to
mplayer calling the play function over and over with tiny amounts of
data.
Either way, from what I understand not writing a multiple of outburst
size is going to have a performance impact for ALSA, so this kind of
code IMO belongs there anyway - though if it should maybe be moved to
mplayer.c in the long term is a different question.