[MPlayer-dev-eng] ALSA issue, r29549

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 29 14:11:04 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 01:25:04PM +0200, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > If nobody comes up with an explanation or a fix I threaten
> > to revert this.
>
> Apparently, ao_data.outburst being 12288 instead of 6144 bytes trips up
> the audio playback code.  (Unfortunately, the assumption in
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2009-August/062150.html
> seems not to be entirely true.)

Why do you think so? I manually set ao_data.outburst to 24576 and still
have no issue.
Even an outburst size of 49152 is a non-issue.
Though that is with a total buffer size 65280, if total buffer size and
outburst size are almost the same that will cause issue, but IMO that is
an ALSA bug (or the assumption that ALSA sets reasonable value is ao_alsa
is bogus and we'd be back to having to set every single thing ourselves),
no application can work properly without at least being able to double-buffer.