[MPlayer-dev-eng] Custom subtitle output

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Sep 28 13:43:54 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 01:07:56PM +0200, Gast wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger schrieb:
> > Ups. Yes, I forgot something. It will only work for embedded subs
> > currently.
>
> Hm, I've tryed it with embedded Subtitles. I've embedded the Subtitles
> using:
> mencoder -slang eng -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> aglobal=1:vglobal=1:acodec=libfaac:vcodec=mpeg4:abitrate=128:vbitrate=1200:keyint=250:mbd=1:vqmax=10:lmax=10
>
> -vf harddup -sub /tmp/test.sub test.mpg -o test_with_subs.mp4

Uh, no, now those subtitles are encoded onto the video and it's almost
impossible to get them out again. Certainly those aren't text subtitles
anymore.
By embedded subs I mean the separate subtitle tracks but in the same
container as the file, selectable via -sid.
(and I can't resist saying that "try" becomes "tried", not "tryed" :-) )

> set_osd_subtitle() is used. I'd check out the source code if mplayer wouldn't
> be such a big project. It's pretty hard to find out what's actually going on
> without having any idea what's going on internally in mplayer and how the
> structure is.

While that is true, I'd expect the simplest source code couldn't help
much if you aren't aware of the different subtitle formats and what it
means what you can reasonably do with them and what not...
Anyway, the code is really new and there are quite a few issues with it
still (I just fixed a whole bunch), just try again with the external
subtitle and tell me if there are still issues.