[MPlayer-dev-eng] Custom subtitle output

Gast mphq at ext.no-route.org
Mon Sep 28 10:09:37 CEST 2009

Gast schrieb:
> Reimar Döffinger schrieb:
>> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:36:03AM +0200, Gast wrote:
>>> I would like to ask if it is possible to show the subtitles
>>> on stdout instead drawing them on the OSD. I'd like to
>>> use an external liquid crystal display (LCD) to display
>>> my subtitles (of course using a file descriptor or direct
>>> access to serial port), but the current vo_* seems not
>>> to be the right place to do subtitle processing for me.
>>
>> For text subtitles: look at mplayer.c:set_osd_subtitle.
>> For bitmap subtitles and pre-rendered text: any video filter
>> can intercept them, like vf_expand does (or vf_ass for the
>> ass subs).
>
> Thank you very much. I'll just get the latest snapshot of
> mplayer and try it out. Seems like there is no set_osd_subtitle()
> in the mplayer shipped with Ubuntu 8.04.

Got the latest snapshot of mplayer. It seems like set_osd_subtitle()
is not called for rendering the text if using vo_x11, vo_xv or vo_sdl.
I've been testing this by adding some fprintf()'s in order to display
some "debug" output on the console (well, I could also use mp_msg()
but fprintf() was enough for quick debugging).

Maybe my previous exaplanation was a little confusing.
Let me try again:

I'd like to send all currently displayed subtitles to a serial LCD-
Display attached to an RS232-Port (e.g. ttyS0) as ASCII without
any further preprocessing.

Regards