[MPlayer-dev-eng] aes & bluray

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Sep 11 11:32:06 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:09:40AM +0200, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Il venerdì 11 settembre 2009 11:01:07 Reimar Döffinger ha scritto:
> > I admit I expected that they could be easily distinguished e.g. by
> > the value of PES_scrambling_control, but I have not found out what
> > the value for DVDs is (it is 01 for HD-DVD).
> > And while I don't know if it is enough to decide the type of
> > encryption, it is PES_scrambling_control that determines if it
> > needs to be decrypted, not the source media.
>
> yes, but "how to decrypt it" is the problem.
> You would have to add decryption members in the demuxers, making the
> code even worse than it is now, while keeping the decrypters in the
> stream readers the code looks much cleaner.

Huh? Am I misunderstanding you are are you saying that because the MPEG
demuxer code is so messy it is better to add code to the stream layer
even if it does not belong there?
Either way I admit I would simply like to have libavformat _also_
support decrypting (because lavf already has some other decryption
stuff, so this could be some kind of common way to handle all kinds of
encryption, MXF, ASF, AACS etc.), and I would also like it if the
scrambling control checks would be re-added in the demuxers in  a
well-tested way so that people trying to play encrypted files (e.g.
when people do a simple file copy from a DVD) at least get a proper
warning instead of just strangely broken playback.
Overall I just have the feeling that at the demuxer layer it would solve
a whole bunch of problems more.