[MPlayer-dev-eng] aes & bluray

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Sep 11 10:20:42 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 04:51:56AM +0100, Jonathan Nell wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Nico Sabbi <nicola.sabbi at poste.it>:
> >>
> >> Are you sure that is the right place? The AACS spec reads as if the encryption
> >> would fit better into the demuxer layer (I know that it is not done for CSS -
> >> which means files just copied from a DVD without decrypting can't be played).
> >
> > I didn't read the specs, but unless decryption can't be implemented
> > otherwise I'd prefer to keep it in the stream layer, just like for CSS

And why? I really think it is a mistake to do it there for CSS already.
The encryption part of CSS does not really depends on a physical medium
at all and could be used for any MPEG stream - if it wasn't always
implemented "at the wrong place".

> Yup, it only makes sense in the stream layer. There's nothing sensible
> to pass to the demux layer until the transport stream has been
> decrypted.

Maybe things are completely different for BluRay, but for HD-DVD the TS
itself isn't encrypted, just _some_ of its contents.
And for what I can tell, a file can even be partially encrypted.
Are you sure that the only reason why your code doesn't work for HD-DVD
is exactly because you are handling things at the stream layer whereas
it would be the same code if done at the demuxer layer?