[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray playback

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 8 20:27:53 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 01:55:09PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 07:57 +0300, Jonathan Nell wrote:
> > do that. That would mean that no keys are needed (at least until AACS
> > revokes the key). An alternative would be to actually buy a key legit
> > (get one donated or cash donated somehow) - i'll look into the cost.
>
> I have no real information on which to base the following claim, but my
> intuition tells me that's not going to be feasible.  Although if you
> find out the cost, I'd be curious to hear it.

For getting a key, you'd have to implement the DRM stuff, in particular
make efforts to keep keys and data encrypted wherever possible and
obfuscated wherever not possible. The later part is not really possible
with OpenSource (and probably no possible while using X11 in general
unless misusing the extension system).
I'll not even start to mention -vo yuv4mpeg and -ao pcm or mencoder.