[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray playback

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:55:09 CEST 2009

>> Wasn't this bluray lib a C++ thingy, which is a no-go for MPlayer?
>>
>> Yes, adding it directly to MPlayer is the "optimal" solution but could
>> lead to duplication. If there was a decent BD library, it could be
>> used by MPlayer and many others without duplicating the BD stuff for
>> MPlayer specifically. Also, I think one of the other reasons why
>> MPlayer uses "external" libdvdcss lib is due to the fact that in some
>> countries it's not legal to use it and in such case, it'll be very
>> easy just to delete the libdvdcss directory in MPlayer's source
>> directory, compile without it and still provide it to the user, albeit
>> crippled without libdvdcss support. If it was directly built-in into
>> the MPlayer code, that'll be difficult to do.
>>
> yes, libbluray was C++.
> Maybe I'll compile my code as 'libbd' and we can include it in the same way.
> But as far as am aware the difference here is that we wont be
> distributing keys at all and I'm not sure it'll be illegal anywhere.
> libdvdcss is a complete hack of the dvd crypto isn't it?

DeCSS is the "cracked" one. libdvdcss uses a generated list of
possible keys and if none are found, it uses brute-force. It has never
been legally challenged, unlike DeCSS. However, many Linux distros do
not include it by default due to fear of DMCA-style laws

Again, I'm not a legal expert so someone else will have to answer the
legal questions :)