[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bluray playback

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 12:38:32 CEST 2009

2009/9/7 Jonathan Nell <crtrn13 at gmail.com>:
> 2009/9/7 Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com>:
>> I'm strongly in support for such a patch. Linux people always seem to
>> suffer due to a combination of ways content people always making it
>> hard to watch *legally* purchased stuff and their obsession with "iron
>> curtain" encryptions, which brings more pain for all parties,
>> especially for people who have like you said *legally* purchased their
>> content and play it on *legally* purchased devices.
>>
>> I think your third option is the better one. Add an option to
>> mplayer/mencoder (like -bdkey or some such) for the user to provide
>> the key himself. Adding built-in keys to mplayer could potentially
>> bring future problems. As for the patch having AACS/future BD+, I
>> think this is OK. MPlayer already includes libdvdcss, though a
>> separate lib and not directly built-in into the mplayer codebase. I'm
>> not entirely sure on this one so someone else who's more familiar with
>> such things will have to answer the legal questions.
>>

> There was a bluray library under dev a few months back and I think it
> has been picked up again by someone.
> But I think a working version of it is a little while off while my
> code is slightly nearer completion.
> I also personally think that it's better to be in the actual codebase
> (I hate the fact that an external lib is needed for dvd playback -
> very counter-intuitive for the newbie) and I think that if no keys are
> provided it should be ok legally (again I'm no expert on such things).

Wasn't this bluray lib a C++ thingy, which is a no-go for MPlayer?

Yes, adding it directly to MPlayer is the "optimal" solution but could
lead to duplication. If there was a decent BD library, it could be
used by MPlayer and many others without duplicating the BD stuff for
MPlayer specifically. Also, I think one of the other reasons why
MPlayer uses "external" libdvdcss lib is due to the fact that in some
countries it's not legal to use it and in such case, it'll be very
easy just to delete the libdvdcss directory in MPlayer's source
directory, compile without it and still provide it to the user, albeit
crippled without libdvdcss support. If it was directly built-in into
the MPlayer code, that'll be difficult to do.