[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure error out if both OpenGL and corevideo

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Sep 1 12:10:31 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 09:57:24AM +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
> > > test "$_corevideo" = auto && test "$_gl" = yes && _corevideo=no &&
> > > _res_comment="disabled by OpenGL
> > > (The user should have the possibility to enable both, if he wishes to do so.)
> >
> > In principle maybe yes, except for
> > a) They just can't work both. Simply truly impossible with the current
> > code (and it is possible and easy to hack configure).
>
> That is the same for t.olame.

Not really, twolame and toolame are using different namespaces so in
principle they should work together. I think they only don't because of
some library bugs or something.
This is different from this case, where (unless Mac OS was to be
redesigned completely) the _exactly_ same named functions are doing completely
different things.

> > b) the end result that corevideo is by default disabled is not at all
> > desirable.
>
> Then perhaps disable OpenGL on darwin if corevideo is set to auto? Or move the
> darwin detection up to disable OpenGL if corevideo is "yes"?

Yes, that might be the "right" solution, but I just preferred the
"simple but stupid" one.

> I just wanted to point out that the patch looked very much FFmpeg-like, but I
> don't have an Apple computer, so I should not care too much.

I do not care much either, I just realized that OSX 10.5.8+Xcode 3.1.3
result in a "crashing by default" MPlayer (i.e. unless you specify
configure options or a -vo at runtime the generated MPlayer will crash
for all video files), which really should be fixed I think.