[MPlayer-dev-eng] willing to pay for RTMP support

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Nov 17 20:30:44 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 20:05 +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 01:55:03PM -0500, compn wrote:
> > should -demuxer lavf be default for all ffmpeg:// ?
>
> No. This is only a hack to disable probing, because probing currently causes seeks
> which are handled very badly.
> The real issue is that MPlayer has quite a few checks for STREAMTYPE_STREAM and no
> fd, and then disables a lot of things like cache.
> I have no idea why, it only seems to break things for no reason at all.

Looking at the history and then related mailing list info, this mail
from Ross Finlayson looks like the reason:

-----
Ah yes, you're right!  Thanks for pointing this out.  The problem here is
that the caching stuff works by calling "stream_read()", but RTP sessions
don't have a 'stream' object behind them (because the data is coming in on
datagram sockets, not from a file or a TCP connection).  So, the best fix
for this will probably be to simply not allow the "-cache" option to be
used on RTP streams.
-----