[MPlayer-dev-eng] Proposed patch for ASF lock up due to consecutive video packets with no valid PTS.

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Wed Nov 11 23:20:01 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 15:15 -0400, Robert Krakora wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Robert Krakora <
> > > I captured the asf file video.asf with "mplayer
> > > http://admin:mncamera2@192.168.1.176/img/video.asf -dumpstream
> -dumpfile
> > > /home/silentm/MessageNet/mplayer/video.asf" and uploaded to
> > > ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming as video.asf.  It plays
> fine as
> > > a file but locks up WITHOUT my hack it playing via Ethernet.  However,
> I do
> > > see the following line with turing on verbosity when playing the file:
>
> > Perhaps there is another ASF packet is not present (since this is a
> stream
> > being received via Ethernet) and therefore there is no next PTS available
> > yet for the frametime calculation.
>
> If you're playing over http then data not being available should lead to
> MPlayer blocking until it is available, not MPlayer proceeding without
> using the information.
>
> Does the captured file cause a lockup if you play it over HTTP (from a
> web server)? If not you could try directly capturing the original
> content with wget for example to make sure it's the same as what MPlayer
> playback sees (though I think -dumpstream should do that).

I captured the ASF stream to a file and mplayer plays it fine.  However,
when it is streamed over Ethernet it locks up within the first few seconds.
gstreamer would not play the ASF stream or the file at all.  The gstreamer
folks had to modify their demuxer and it now plays fine (with patch they
provided) streaming and from a file.  The Fluendo ASF demuxer had the same
problem and they too fixed it and now it plays fine streaming and from a
file.  I believe that there is possibly a race condition in regards to
streaming ASF in the demuxer that causes the lock up in mplayer.

Best Regards,

--
Rob Krakora
Senior Software Engineer