[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Mon Nov 9 06:46:48 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 08:25:31PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> But anyway, I would expect that if no video is played or playback is
>> paused, the screensaver and power managment is *not* inhibited. Neither
>> your original idea nor my wrapper approach addresses this.
>
> Not yet, however it would be easy to add and to some degree planned
> if there would be demand for it.
>
>> Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this new inhibit API and see if and how it
>> is being adopted by other desktop environments. Because I still think
>> the general idea isn't too bad after all.
>
> Well, inhibit necessarily has problems with applications crashing -
> requiring additional hacks to avoid this.

The (new) gnome-screensaver api takes this into account. AFAIUI crashing
applications are detected gracefully.

> And if you consider writing an application, I'd suggest considering
> a more general solution, e.g. a program that inhibits the screensaver
> based on the names of running applications, whether they are in the
> foreground or visible at all, CPU usage, window content update activity
> (if it is possible to get such information) or similar criteria.
> Because from my point of view it seems not particularly reasonable that
> every application has to instruct the screensaver how to behave instead
> of it figuring out by itself what to do.

Hm, so every flash animation (think ads), animated gif or similar stuff
in some browser window has the potential to avoid the screensaver to be
activated? Or any instant messanger, mail program or what not?

I fear that monitoring application behavior is not an option for
screensavers.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4