[MPlayer-dev-eng] removing rc2 from mplayerhq.hu

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sun Nov 8 19:20:38 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 06:55:07PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:
> >> Again, not a problem by the patch. It has been proposed to remove
> >> mplayer-gui in the past, but since it seems to work for some people,
> >> removing it is, or at least was, considered to do more harm than just
> >> leaving it as it is.
> >
> > You missed my point: linking to the mplayer man page for gmplayer might
> > give the wrong impression that gmplayer can be used the same way as
> > MPlayer.
> > But I notice that the MPlayer man page is written that way...
> > So I guess that makes that change a good idea after all, and I added
> > a small sentence about possible issue to the man page.
>
> so you agree to have it applied to trunk/ and rc3/?
>
> If yes, let's commit it then.

I don't object, but Diego handles the Makefile stuff.

> >> I have made some research on this topic, but I'm still investigating.
> >> You're right and the current situation is indeed a big mess. I don't
> >> agree with your conclusion to just ignore gnome-screensaver but am
> >> interested in a proper integration. The current patch in the package
> >> clearly isn't, and of course needs improvment.
> >
> > Well, -heartbeat-cmd can work with gnome-screensaver.
> > It may have some issues I know of and some I don't, but I can't see how
> > you can call it "just ignore gnome-screensaver" when we have that line
> > in the man page:
> >> EXAMPLE for GNOME screensaver:  mplayer -heartbeat-cmd "gnome-screensaver-command -p" file
> > and
> >> If your screensaver supports neither the XSS nor XResetScreenSaver API please use -heartbeat-cmd instead.
>
> The problem is that this doesn't work anymore with gnome-screensaver
> since (I think) 2.24.

Well, I see you are trying your best, so it's unfair but you know what
really annoys me? Once again everyone has to live with annoyances like a
mouse pointer that wiggles around like drunk (yes, I know it only
happens when it's hidden, but it is still noticeable) just because the
gnome-screensaver guy _still_ can't get their act together - this kind
of thing is going on since _years_.
I'm tempted to suggest that you just patch gnome-screensaver to not run
when there's a program named "MPlayer" or "VLC" running, that puts the
hack at least where the stupid code is (and if this list was
configurable, that would actually make it a useful feature - it could
even be done in gnome-session if the gnome people think that's where the
screensaver handling belongs - though I heartily suggest that just for
once the _first_ design the API and the implement it instead of
implement something an notice the need a new one a few months later with
nobody bothering to keep the old one working).