[MPlayer-dev-eng] fixed-vo in VDPAU

Serguei Miridonov mirsev at cicese.mx
Mon Nov 2 08:23:23 CET 2009

On Monday 02 November 2009, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 11/01/2009 12:50 PM, Dani Church wrote:
> > The documentation for fixed-vo says "only one window will be
> > opened for all files."

... and, as I wrote in my other post, average user perception of this:
the window will keep its geometry or full-screen/panscan mode if (s)he
changes it during the playback.

> I think this is a somewhat misleading description. As far as I
> understand things, what it actually means is "the video-out method
>  will be initialized only once for the entire session, rather than
>  going through initialization and cleanup for every file".

However, in fact, according to the code, it also runs window
configuration with every file.

>  The
>  primary user-visible effect of this is that, while the window will
>  visibly close and reopen when using -nofixed-vo, that won't happen
>  with -fixed-vo.

Try to change mode or window geometry and see what happens. Visible
effect is like the window is reopened again because it returns to the
initial position and size with every new file. So, it appears that
current implementation of -fixed-vo option is incomplete.

> That doesn't mean that the VO settings don't change between files,
> however; they kind of have to, if for instance you're playing files
>  of different resolutions.

OK, that only means that -fixed-vo option is incompatible with
multiple files of different resolutions and/or frame rates, color
spaces, etc. No problem with that. But I (and Dani Church, as
understand from other post in this thread, and may be many other
users) want to watch multiple clips from camcorder as one movie and we
expect mplayer to mimic the same behavior as with just one long movie.

> > Is there a valid, concrete use-case example for using fixed-vo
> > and not wanting to keep window settings?  I can't think of one,
> > but I might be missing something.
>
> What window settings are you thinking of, specifically?

Geometry (size and position on the screen), switch to full-screen mode
and back, panscan settings. I think that will be sufficient.

> Personally, I use -fixed-vo for two main reasons:
>
> to avoid the reinitialization delay between files (which can be
>  anywhere between negligible and something over a second, though I
>  admittedly haven't seen the latter in quite some while), and
>
> to avoid the brief flash back to the desktop in between files
>  played in fullscreen.

Add one more reason: VDPAU is still buggy, reconfiguration it every
time with a new file does not work sometimes. It may refuse to open a
window or lock display completely. With my primitive patch disabling
this reconfiguration if clip parameters do not change makes it much
more stable.