[MPlayer-dev-eng] fixed-vo in VDPAU

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 1 17:49:52 CET 2009

On 11/01/2009 01:36 AM, Serguei Miridonov wrote:

> On Saturday 31 October 2009, Uoti Urpala wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 22:18 +0200, Serguei Miridonov wrote:
>>
>>> Even with -fixed-vo when playing multiple files mplayer
>>> reconfigures the output with every new file. I mean that if I
>>> change the display option by pressing 'f' or 'e', or change the
>>> window size during playback, when mplayer starts playing new
>>> file, it will return to options initially given in a command
>>> line.
>>>
>>> To prevent this behavior, I've made changes in vo_vdpau.c (see
>>> attached patch). I know, this is not the best way to fix this but
>>> it was easiest to test. Probably it is better to do this at some
>>> upper level for all VO.
>>
>> Fullscreen has its own option. Currently, when moving to a new file
>> every option gets a specific value that is determined when the
>> command line is parsed. Maybe some options should keep their value
>> when changing files instead of using the value determined during
>> commandline parsing, but the right behavior is not obvious.
>
> Imagine, you start mplayer with miltiple files and after a minute or
> so you decide to switch from window mode to full screen and press
> "F" on a keyboard. Even more, you press "E" several times to adjust
> panscan mode. You watch the clip and when it ends and mplayer starts
> to play the next file, it returns to previous window mode. Annoying?

Only sometimes. There are times when you might want this behavior - for
instance, what if only one of the files in your multi-file sequence
needed the panscan adjustments?. I for one would be annoyed to have the
option of getting this behavior taken away.

The last time this was discussed that I'm aware of (roughly November of
2007, IIRC), the best solution the participants - Reimar and I - managed
to come up with was to define a keyword for the keybindings file,
analogous to the "pausing_keep" prefix for slave-mode commands, which
would let the user specify whether or not any given command - such as
"toggle fullscreen status" - would be persistent this way. That way,
people who want it to be persistent could have that, and people who
don't could have it be not - and people who want both at different times
could even define two different commands, one with each behavior.

Unfortunately, as far as I know a patch to do that was never written.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.