[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Mar 31 00:14:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:56:01PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Lack of run-time 3rd party plug-ins ala GStreamer?
> >
> > Huh? Registering 3rd-party codecs at runtime is trivial. Unless you meant
> > "searching and autoloading of plugins" or a promised-stable API for them,
> > but that is not exactly what you said..
>
> I don't see what would be the point of run-time plug-ins that can't be
> searched and auto-loaded, but yeah, that's what I meant: support for
> auto-loading 3rd party plug-ins.

Choosing the name "libav" instead of "FFmpeg", since I an talking about the
libavformat/libavcodec libraries, not the "ffmpeg" executable.
Uh, I think you are choosing your words rather badly. You could search for
and auto-load libav "plug-ins", it's just that libav itself does not do that.
With hacks such as LD_PRELOAD on Linux you might even be able to make it
work transparently without any changes to neither libav nor the programs
using it.
It is IMO just more than questionable that rummaging through your hard-disk's
contents is the job of a (otherwise mostly/purely calculatory) codec library -
this seems much more suitable to something on top of it which would also provide
a way to configure it.