[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Mar 30 16:16:23 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 14:55 +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:46:41PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:

> > > Nowadays I see decoders outside FFmpeg as a waste of time.
> >
> > Why? FFmpeg as is has quite a lot of limitations;
>
> Which limitations do you see?

The most significant one in this context is the API issue I mentioned
later. Some applications need more specific functionality which does not
properly fit under a shared general API. As long as FFmpeg tries to fit
everything under an uniform API, more featureful libraries (which also
contain decoding as part of the functionality) are better packaged
separately.