[MPlayer-dev-eng] mpg123 / mp3lib 64bit SSE code

Thomas Orgis thomas-forum at orgis.org
Mon Mar 30 10:21:33 CEST 2009

Hi, MPlayer folks...

The mpg123 project has this long-term goal to replace all those forks
in various projects (like MPlayer/mp3lib) with the up-to-date libmpg123.
What we still miss is the SSE optimizations for AMD64 -- something Zuxy
actually did for your mp3lib already.
Now, we need a slightly different solution (the decoding table needs to
be dynamic, Zuxy made it static, we prefer standalone asm), but
actually the main bulk of work seems to be done in MPlayer.

Since I don't have the time to get down to that myself, I created some
incentive for someone else to get mpg123 as fast (or faster) as
MPlayer's mp3 decoder in 64bit AMD64 systems:

http://cofundos.org/project.php?id=161

I made an initial bid of 50 Euro for the completion. This could be easy
money for folks knowing the MPlayer mp3lib... or generally for people
who know a bit of assembly programming -- certainly we have some of
those here...?

I really hope you don't consider this post off-topic, since the idea
behind it is really related to MPlayer development:
Once we have SSE on 64bits, I hope to get a realistic effort going to
prepare a patch that relieves the MPlayer team from maintaining the
MPEG audio decoder in mp3lib and instead makes use of libmpg123.
Somehow I do not expect you to accept a patch to replace your _faster_
decoder with something slower;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas.