[MPlayer-dev-eng] Is first movie frame showd one frame late?

Dan Oscarsson Dan.Oscarsson at tietoenator.com
Thu Mar 19 08:41:13 CET 2009

Not yet having understood how everything works in mplayer, I see that
the normal sequence is: decode and play audio, decode video, sleep until
end of frame time, display frame.

For me that looks like when a move starts, audio start at time 0 and
video at end of first time frame. I have not looked at how the pts in
movies are encoded, but would expect that first frame of a move should
be displayed at time 0. Am I wrong? Does some delays in mplayer make
this happen? Otherwise I would expect movies shown by mplayer to always
have audio one frame time before video.

The code in mplayer.c is not that easy to understand when you look at
the time syncing code.